10-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #110
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer View Post
Perhaps HotIce and I are the minority here. While I do not completely disagree with what you say, I must say I agree with HotIce more. We own BMWs like most everyone here.

Why did we buy one? Why did I buy one? I grew up around these cars. I was passionate about them since I was 5. My father's 7 series cars and my mother's 5/7 series cars over the years. When I was old enough to afford one of these cars, and I first set eyes on the E46 M3, it exuded passion, elegance, luxury, sportiness and the spirit of BMW. It would inspire you and make you smile and it would excite you to just look at it. So elegant, so well executed. No fuss and no pretensions. I had the same feeling when I first saw the E92 (the 2006 E90 did not excite much). Simple, elegant lines and pure BMW characteristics. I did not need to tell myself I am driving a sporty car, or a luxury car or a modern car. I did not need a badge on the side of the car or a BMW salesman to tell me that either. I felt it from the moment I saw it. And I felt it when I drove it. There was passion in engineering and design.

When I see this new 3 (and the new 1 series, the X1/X3 and the i3), it does nothing to me. No excitement, nothing inspires. They seem to be trying too hard and everything looks like an afterthought. It shows in the design. A Jaguar CX16 brings the passion back. I sigh and shake my head in somewhat disbelief and feel defeated. At the end of the day they need to sell more cars but to do it in this manner is unfortunate.

Sorry for my rant. I guess I am too passionate about design and engineering. Something that they need to get back.
I don't think anything else needs to be said.
Appreciate 0