View Single Post
      06-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #31
terminator335i
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Mod 9: Chargepipe upgrade (Evolution Racewerkes)

As many have already known, the stock Chargepipe on the F30 is made of plastic. If you are running a tune, it was noted that some and only some people have had this factory component fail, via cracking or popping off the connection with the Throttle body, with the higher boost. This is considered to be a "Safety Supporting Mod" in the case that this ever comes up. It is not a performance Mod and it won't give you any more power or sound. As I slowly get closer towards FBO status, this was on the list.

Ordered the parts online and got to work over the weekend.
Job took approx. 1.5 hours to complete. The installation manual that came with it was not very helpful, but I had a very good friend to help me do the work. Note to all who do this: You need to have the car on a lift or Jack ramps to remove the connection with the intercooler.
A brief overview of a DIY:

1. Put front of car on Ramps.
2. Remove Factory Airbox
3 Disconnect the TMAP sensor
4. Remove the undertray plastic holder underneath the front of the car to get access to the intercooler
5. Pry open the C-clips that connect the Chargepipe to the Intercooler (under the car) and the Throttle body (engine bay). The lower connection is very tricky and can get frustrating but took a bit of effort. Once both connections are out, remove the OEM chargepipe.
6. Unscrew the connection to the TMAP sensor on the OEM chargepipe, and screw it onto the new charge pipe.
7. Place the new ER two piece charge pipe, one connecting to the Throttle body, the other to the intercooler. Connect these two pieces together with the supplied O-ring clamps and the plastic joining connector. Use the factory C-clamps to clamp the new chargepipe to the throttle body and intercooler.
8. Re-connect the T-Map sensor into the connection.
9. Re-connect the airbox
10 Bolt the undertray back onto the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0