View Single Post
      11-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #19
Niart906
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2003 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
The F30 can certainly be a hell of a lot of fun on track. I've been pondering your question for a few minutes, and I think the answer depends on your goals.

If you want a fast car for the street that's well-sorted for casual track use without any mods, then obviously the F80 is a better choice in terms of both power and handling. But if your goals involve getting a bit more serious on track, then you'd still likely be modding an F80 as well... in which case it may make more sense to just stick with your current F30. Other than the diff, most of what I've modded on my F30 is more performance-optimized than the corresponding part that comes on an F80 stock... and I've modded a lot. Maybe I've just come to the point where I'm not happy with a car until I've modded it a bunch anyway.

Personally, I like having a track-focused F30 that can run with the F8Xs... and it would be good to see more out there!
You and I seem alot a like lol. I too prefer a modded car in general.

If I were to upgrade to an F80 I'd also buy a beater as I'm not looking to DD an F80. I'd lose too much to depreciation. But if I were to keep the F30, I could look at adding an LSD and eventually buy another E46 M3 dedicated for track work/weekends. I love my F30, and have driven a bunch of F80's, but I still want another E46 M3 at some point in my life.

Not sure what track groups you typically run with, but I've been using Track Night in America the last few years. I typically do Pocono a few times a summer if you're ever in the area. I'd love to get down to NJMP at some point this coming year too. Would love to compare mods.