svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
The key can tell if it's inside the car and not allow locking via comfort access, so seems like there should be some kind of audible warning if you take the key out of the car with it running.

Here is a scenario that happened to me a couple weeks ago:
  • In a rented Nissan minivan with same start/stop ignition as new BMWs.
  • In Western NY and it's night and snowing.
  • Parked on street in front of a restaurant.
  • After dinner, start car to warm it up and put key in coat pocket and exit car to brush snow off the windows/windshield.
  • Key fall out of pocket into the snow and do not notice
  • Leave for our hotel 15mi away.
  • Luckily, I stopped 1/4 mi away to clear the windshield better and let defogger work. At that time, I felt around for the key and found it was missing. Drove back to where we had parked and, with the light from the headlights, managed to find the key in the snow on the street.

Not sure what would have happened if I hadn't stopped until we got to our destination and shut off the car, but it wouldn't have been fun.
- Tear up room looking for keys the next day for drive back to airport
- Who know if / when I would think about potential for dropping the keys the night before
- Even then, would have to call cab or get ride back to where we were and hope the keys were still there and not completely buried or run over.
If I compare the system to my X5 with comfort access and all, it does give a warning when I take the key with me while the car is running. But I agree, in your situation something should've warned you as well. A new key, including programming, costs about 450 USD from what I've heard (we once thought we lost a key but found it days later after all),

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0