View Single Post
      11-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #44
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing1220 View Post
+1 I know that some people really care about "exhaust sound" but I've never understood it -- it just seems irrelevant to the equation. If the dynamics and performance of the car are where I want them to be I don't care if it sounds like a spaceship or an ice cream truck. Frankly, your position is best -- all else being equal, I'd like to not have too much intrusion into the cabin and I don't want to call too much attention to the car (then again, I've always loved sleepers so I admit my bias there.) Also, I think, from a social standpoint, loud pipes are asinine, at least in urban areas -- the need to proclaim your car's supposed "sportiness" should be restrained by a consideration for the many people out and about on the streets and sidewalks -- I don't want my car to contribute to some 4-year-old's hearing loss.
I hear you. I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this.

There are two types of people on this forum. You have the guys who appreciate a good exhaust sound (I I will call them the exhausters ) and those who don't. I used to be the type that never paid attention to the car's exhaust. That's why I had an IS250 at one stage in my life
After getting into a different car (G35/37) these two literally taught me how to appreciate how a car drives and the way the exhaust performs. Once you learn to turn off the radio and just listen to your exhaust and engine, you then transform into an exhauster. I have paid attention to my exhaust on so many occasions I am now in tune with what it has to offer and what its weaknesses are (yes it could be louder). As I said earlier, sport mode with constant speed is the worst exhaust setting for me. Vary your speed in that mode and the exhaust comes alive, burbles and continuous pop sounds everywhere not to mention the I6 screaming as all this goes on. Its a great symphony between engine sound and exhaust.

Now once you transfer over to be an exhauster, there are several options. You can be the loud exhaust type person or the "this is good enough" type driver. Honestly I don't fault the guys who like loud exhaust, especially if done in a classy way e.g. GT Haus, Akra etc. After all this is an enthusiast type forum and I would expect this. If anything we should all have some sort of modifications to our exhaust to qualify to post here

Cross over, switch off the radio and enjoy the true luxury of a well executed exhaust system, in stock form I am yet to meet any other car in this segment that matches the F30/32 exhaust (E90/2 sound great too)

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0