11-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #31
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post
AustinTrkJunkie,

I wanted to ask you a questions since you have some experience with both the E90 M car and 340i, in addition to driving an F80. I'm in the same boat as you, not exactly but close. My lease is coming to an end on my 320I and I haven't owned an M3 since the E36, although I have driven all the later M's. I'm torn, I want to go for the F80 next, but it's a bit soulless. I've also considered the 340i and an e90 M. I'm not looking to track, I mainly hit the twisties and DD my cars with light modding. My question to you is, how does the E90 M compare to the 340i and to the f80? Would you change anything about your decision? I really want an e90m, but there is nothing more appealing than a full warranty and maint. plan.
Well, it really depends on what you're looking to get out of the car. I've gone from a dedicated track/race car, to the E90 which was a blast on the track, but wife hated to ride in, now to the 340i which my wife loves but I am still not sure of on the track - will find out next weekend at COTA, finally!

I likely would have kept the E90 had the warranty not been about to expire, and having it make lots of valve/lifter clatter on cold starts accelerated the decision to move out of it. S65's are not cheap to replace, and the noise had gotten worse with the track days I was putting on it.

The pluses of the 340i are it's newness, warranty, ability to be softly sprung thanks to EDC. It's still not a tight as the E90 and I won't push as hard as I would in the M3 in the 340. For comparison, there are a few banked corner off ramps here in Round Rock that I could take at with ease at 110 or so in the M3, anything over about 95-100 in the 340i feels loose, not as planted and just a tad nervous. It's better with the square set up I'm running now than the OE staggered, but the confidence and ability of the M3 were better, period. Even with a 255/275 staggered PSS set up I was running, that car would turn and stick. (I ran 275 square on the track which was even more confidence inspiring)

Given your ask, if you can find a low mile E90 M3 with a warranty, I'd go that route. Don't get me wrong, I like the 340i, but if you're looking for fun, the E90 is more a drivers car.

As to the F80, it's even more uncompromising than the E90 was, Its ride is rougher - even on the softest EDC setting - and gets expensive quickly once you add the must have options and has a lack-luster steering feel compared to the E90. But with the F80 you can liquefy the tires with DSC off with just a bap of throttle, which can be fun If you're looking for a hooligan car, the F80 is a no brainer.

I'm viewing the 340 as a pause while I'm more engaged with my kids, but once they grow bored of dad in their teens (like 4-5 years), I'll likely go back to a dedicated track car and trade the 340i for a tow vehicle - X5M perhaps?

Hope that helps, sorta a rambling reply - lol
Appreciate 1
Labeef265.00