View Single Post
      11-02-2016, 12:26 AM   #33
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
Well, it really depends on what you're looking to get out of the car. I've gone from a dedicated track/race car, to the E90 which was a blast on the track, but wife hated to ride in, now to the 340i which my wife loves but I am still not sure of on the track - will find out next weekend at COTA, finally!

I likely would have kept the E90 had the warranty not been about to expire, and having it make lots of valve/lifter clatter on cold starts accelerated the decision to move out of it. S65's are not cheap to replace, and the noise had gotten worse with the track days I was putting on it.

The pluses of the 340i are it's newness, warranty, ability to be softly sprung thanks to EDC. It's still not a tight as the E90 and I won't push as hard as I would in the M3 in the 340. For comparison, there are a few banked corner off ramps here in Round Rock that I could take at with ease at 110 or so in the M3, anything over about 95-100 in the 340i feels loose, not as planted and just a tad nervous. It's better with the square set up I'm running now than the OE staggered, but the confidence and ability of the M3 were better, period. Even with a 255/275 staggered PSS set up I was running, that car would turn and stick. (I ran 275 square on the track which was even more confidence inspiring)

Given your ask, if you can find a low mile E90 M3 with a warranty, I'd go that route. Don't get me wrong, I like the 340i, but if you're looking for fun, the E90 is more a drivers car.

As to the F80, it's even more uncompromising than the E90 was, Its ride is rougher - even on the softest EDC setting - and gets expensive quickly once you add the must have options and has a lack-luster steering feel compared to the E90. But with the F80 you can liquefy the tires with DSC off with just a bap of throttle, which can be fun If you're looking for a hooligan car, the F80 is a no brainer.

I'm viewing the 340 as a pause while I'm more engaged with my kids, but once they grow bored of dad in their teens (like 4-5 years), I'll likely go back to a dedicated track car and trade the 340i for a tow vehicle - X5M perhaps?

Hope that helps, sorta a rambling reply - lol
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate your insight. You pretty much stated what I was thinking. There is no replacement for M before the 3.

The reason I am so torn is because the e90 and f80 would practically cost me the same amount of money, but with one difference is, I would own one.

I still have some time left in my f30 and will keep my eye out for a clean e90. All else fails, it will be the f80.
Appreciate 0