MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nart View Post
˄ This. Trying to be as objective as possible here, but to me it doesn't feel the G20 is such a huge step forward. Most of it is tech, and most of it are gimmicks IMO (personal assistant, gesture control, etc). Yes, a bigger screen and a more capable digital dash are nice though.

I'd also take the looks of the current 4 Series over the new G20 any day. Not to mention that if you are in the LCI variant, with the newer engines (i.e. B58), well that cycle just started.
You have to experience a Gxx to see how much of a step forward they are, there's so many little improvements, so many new features, better ride quality and refinement, better build quality, better interior quality plus the new technology, it really does make all F3x's look and feel dated.
As ever with any manufacturer, you win some and lose some. The only Gxx car I have driven was a basic X3 30d MSport and the interior quality was a step back - awful, awful fake Aluminium trim was worthy of a £15k car. The bigger iDrive screen is nice, but it's not a step change like the old business nav vs. pro nav.

I can't judge the refinement as it was very noisy at urban speeds but utterly unfair to compare petrol to diesel. Quieter on the motorway, but that's SUVs for you so again unfair to compare.

Either way though, if I wanted to roll from this PCP into a new one on a mid-size BMW non-SUV this year, I'd choose a 440i GC again over a G20 M340i - looks and practicality would win me over rather than the minor tech advances. For some the 3 and 4 series are comparable and competing. I understand why, but for me they are not.

Not knowing the new 3 at all - I much prefer the looks over the 5 series.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0