01-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #36
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
As ever with any manufacturer, you win some and lose some. The only Gxx car I have driven was a basic X3 30d MSport and the interior quality was a step back - awful, awful fake Aluminium trim was worthy of a £15k car. The bigger iDrive screen is nice, but it's not a step change like the old business nav vs. pro nav.

I can't judge the refinement as it was very noisy at urban speeds but utterly unfair to compare petrol to diesel. Quieter on the motorway, but that's SUVs for you so again unfair to compare.

Either way though, if I wanted to roll from this PCP into a new one on a mid-size BMW non-SUV this year, I'd choose a 440i GC again over a G20 M340i - looks and practicality would win me over rather than the minor tech advances. For some the 3 and 4 series are comparable and competing. I understand why, but for me they are not.

Not knowing the new 3 at all - I much prefer the looks over the 5 series.
The G01 interior really is a huge step up from the F3x, it is probably the biggest improvement! There's no egg carton plastic on the sides of the centre console and steering wheel for a start, the ambient lighting makes a big difference to the aesthetics, and the overall design of the dash, door cards and seats makes the F3x look every bit of the 8 year old design that it is, plus the refinement with the standard acoustic windscreen and the optional acoustic side windows makes it such a quiet refined place compared to the noisy old F3x cabin.
Appreciate 0