bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Nah there's definitely a difference between the ATS and the best sellers of the segment. The ATS isn't as good an all-rounder as the 3er and not even close to the A4 or C-class.

There's a reason why the ATS is one of the worst selling vehicles in America. Dealers can't move them to save their lives. For your purposes it's fine (just as my Lexus IS is fine for my purposes) but that's clearly not the case for most consumers.
I think it has a lot to do with brand/parent company perception and magazine reviews. The ATS wins pretty much every review regarding driving Dynamics, which was Cadillac's main objective. But the mags then comment on stupid stuff like the windows are too small (never a complaint when the ATS first arrived 5 years ago. The back seat is small, yet magazines and sport sedan consumers complain the Audi, BMW, and Benz have grown too big and heavy, while the Alpha platform is hundreds of pounds lighter.

I think had Cadillac not offered the chassis with the 2.5L engine but instead offered it with a V6 / manual transmission option, the conversion rate of real BMW owners over to Cadillac would have been far better.

Is the reliability any worse than the Germans? I'd bet not. Being the parent is GM, there is a perception, which affects the buying decision, but in reality, owners of German cars and BMW especially, put up with a lot of design and build quality issues.
I haven't had any breakdowns. My colleague's Prius is in the shop being fixed under warranty. So much for Japanese reliability.
Appreciate 0