09-15-2017, 12:36 AM   #7
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by semclane View Post
Yes, it's a good looking car, but I, on the other hand being an old fart (74), yearn for the good old days before Indy Car and NASCAR became Spec series'. I looked forward to the Indy 500 just to see the different solutions the entrants came up with, as well Stock Car racing based on actual stock cars that came from a factory. Sigh.
Amen to that! Like the quote from Days of Thunder ... "there's nothing stock about a stock car." Which is sad. Transferring race technology back to the regular consumer is pretty much a thing of the past ... no longer is it about furthering technology .... its all about the ad revenue. I don't remember the last time I watched a full race. I'll pop in for a few laps and get bored.

I'd like to see Indy introduce a 3rd engine supplier to liven things up a bit. Unfortunately Indy can't seem to get anyone to throw in; which sucks because this Chevy vs Honda thing is becoming a bit played out. Good thing Indy is getting better talent nowadays and the veterans are sticking around ... so at least there's good racing.

IMO this new body design isn't going to help the racing become any better ... closer driving in an open wheeled race car makes the sport that much more dangerous, especially on the oval tracks where there's cars 3-4 around a corner. But I guess that's what Indy wants ... to gain viewership by inciting more crashes so it seems more exciting to watch ... turning it into a NASCAR race. Soon enough Indy races will become just as long due to all the yellow flags.
Appreciate 0