Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
Yeah but with NR off any ISO above 800 looks horrible depending on the lighting condition. Removing them in PS or DxO creates a smudgy texture...What's your NR setting? I'm keeping mine off because I find that it takes away too much texture detail.
I leave the camera at "Standard" NR setting. Depending on the subject, I don't think that it looks "horrible" at all up to ISO 1200. I DO shoot mostly at 100, but 800 to 1200 readily comes out when I either need speed or light.

The samples at www.dpreview.com show excellent detail up above 1200. Of course, if you need the ultimate in detail, then turn off NR and shoot at ISO 50, but most subjects don't demand that much resolution.

I've attached a real world example, taken at ISO 1250, f4 and 1/25-second, handheld (helped by IS) and run through DxO, but with NR at "Standard" on the camera. There's some softness, mostly due to the slow shutter speed and, perhaps, a small amount of noise. This isn't a "perfect" image, BUT it captured a moment and the subject's mother loves it. What I'd hope is that we're not missing pictures like this because we're worried that noise will slightly diminish the potential result. This kind of shot is very effective.

A pro wedding photographer will want every advantage possible and will probably spring for the extra f-stops of a larger lens. Here, I grabbed the camera and said, "Don't take that off until I get a picture" and had the picture because I leave the 24-105 on the camera whenever I don't have a specific need for another lens. Even with a f/1.2 50mm I would have needed ISO 400 or more to get the shutter speed fast enough to hold.

Yes, I strive for technical perfection, but I don't miss shots that could be pleasing, if not perfect, if I'll just try. Even blown up on the 47" HDTV, this image has great impact. Yeah, it's not perfect, but it gets the job done.

Dave
Attached Images