07-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
rjc32000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335Xi M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
It's all about dedicated snow tires. That's where 90% of the needed traction comes from. XDrive adds another 5% atop that which is not necessary unless you live in northern Canada or Iceland.

When I lived in snowy New England I had better snow traction with my RWD E93 on Hakkapalita snow tires than I did on my AWD E90 on Michelin all seasons. The rubber hits the road, that's the thing to remember.

AWD is just an expensive option that car companies like to push; it's all about the tires. Get RWD, get some really good snow tires (studded, if legal in Germany) and you'll be in a better place than having XDrive and all season tires.

BJ
Wow, I really couldn't disagree more. Granted I love in Southcentral Alaska, where there is snow on the ground for much of the winter, but AWD adds substantially more than "5%" traction over RWD. The right tires can help a RWD car, but don't get it to AWD traction level, especially an AWD that also is installed with the right tires.

OP: If you are going to be somewhere where there is snow or ice on the ground for a month or more out of the year, I'd get the AWD. If you only have a few snow days, get the RWD and spend the money you saved on a taxi those days!
Appreciate 0