thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
When in such situation,

I find that you should not force at all, in fact

I find it much easier if you very gently and very slowly push it into gear..

Do this for several times during the drive, and eventually it will somehow become easier...

Never force it into gear.

Alternatively, if you don't want to push through the harder resistance than usual, I also shift it into second gear without ever releasing the clutch and then I find that you can easily put it into first or reverse...

I find doing so "unblocks" something in the transmission...

Good luck....

I think it's pretty natural... And I have observed that with all of my 3 series up until now ...

Manual transmission clutch don't wear out that easily of fast, unless you really don't know how to do it and have been abusing it, but otherwise it should last at least 150,000 or even 200,000 miles...based on my experience.
150k-200k miles on a F3x clutch seems insanely high. Even if the car is launched VERY rarely and is never tuned, never track driven, and just babied its entire life low 100k is likely going to be end of life. Throw a tune on, some launches every once in a while, and/or an inexperienced or aggressive driver (nearly everyone on the forums falls into one or more of these) and you're looking at 50-75k, perhaps less if more than one applies. Buying a car 2nd hand with unknown history of the first driver i would say budget/plan on that range, and if it lasts longer, great.

If OPs issue started suddenly, i would say its pretty likely there is an 'actual' problem and not something he can just work around. I know the 2-1 does work on a lot of manual trans car when there is a weird resistance going into 1 that happens rarely/occasionally (feeling like something is temporarily blocking for some reason as you alluded to), but OPs problem doesn't sound like that.
Appreciate 1
lazyleo18.50