Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XmX32 View Post
Hey,
i want to code some of these features for my car when it arrives however my father was telling me the car's coding is extremely complicated and might have bugs that are not causing problems with the way everything is set up now but changing some values might cause those bugs to manifest in ways that can compromise the cars safety, or cause serious problems. However from reading this forum it doesn't seem like coding some small things like roll up windows/fold mirrors, etc shouldn't be a problem if i'm careful and i could always restore the factory settings.

Long story short how risky do you guys think is to code my car?
and
has anyone had any major problems doing so?

BTW i don't know if it makes a difference but i'm leasing
There will always be some small risk when you do this. You just have to weigh the risk verses the benefit of having the features you want.

As Shawn said, a lot of the things that you can code are enabled in other countries, so they aren't risky to code. Also, if you do run into a problem, you can always revert back to the factory settings.

The only problems I've heard of were when people were coding really advanced things like retrofitting parts, trying to code new modules, re-writing VO's, changing VIN's, etc.

The items in the cheat sheet are well tested and if there were problems, we'd definitely hear about them.

As far as leasing goes, you could just revert all of your changes before you return the car.
Appreciate 0