View Single Post
      03-15-2020, 06:25 PM   #9
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenthelight! View Post
'starred' marked tyres (*) are made to manufacturer particular specification. They may sometimes differ in appearance/tread pattern/compound, but are always made to much tighter sizing and weighting tolerances. I would always buy star marked tyres, not just for AWD benefits, but for axle side to side balance. A friend at work put a new set of non starred tyres on his Audi Quattro and had an annoying vibration and pulling over to the left from the front at over 50mph. I swapped the wheels over, and the vibration stayed, but the pulling over swapped over to the right, implying a tyre problem. I had him get the tyres taken off and I measured and weighed them at work - 4mm (diameter), 1.5mm (width) and 225 grams difference! Ordered a new set of starred tyres, measured and weighed them - 0.6mm on diameter, 0.2mm on width and 25 gram difference. Fitted them and vibration and pulling gone ! Take from this what you will, but I know what I would buy ....
Are you sure the vibration was not just crap balancing on the wheel(s)? No idea about the pulling though.

So he put star rated tyres on an Audi. You know star rated tyres are BMW specific?

Audi are AO just like Merc are MO.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack

Last edited by dopper99; 03-15-2020 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0