View Single Post
      11-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
The MDCT is smarter/better than just "going directly to the gear requested". The car/computer is smarter than a person. There should be no circumstance where you'd need to go directly from 8th to 2nd. When you hold the downshift paddle on the MDCT, it can instantly drop to the lowest possible gear safe enough for the current engine speed. In other words, it's going to give you the maximum power for the gearing and engine speed combination. There is no point trying to out thinking the ECU (guess that you need to be in 2nd, when 4th might be better), it knows better than us.

The ZF 8AT is a great transmission, but trust me that the Getrag 7sp DCT is better
Again, the point is that this AT CAN skip that many gears.
The realistic point is that it can do 3 or 4 gear downshifts, for accel or decel, faster than a DCT can, yes, even if you put "M" in front of it.
The 8 to 2 thing is fluff.

The question was not about being "safe" or "trying to out think" the ECU, which I don't know who is trying that, you just brought it up.
Don't know why you're bringing that in.

The point you wanted to discuss/debate is clear, down shift speed and ability to skip gears quicker/slower.
I've given you the info.

I didn't make this up. This information comes from ZF.
You asked, I gave.
But that's just me. I'm a very giving person.

If you like the DCT better, cool. No one's busting your ba11s on that.
The ZF sport AT is one hell of an automatic trans.
Best torque converter trans I've ever driven.
Appreciate 0