View Single Post
      04-15-2020, 11:45 AM   #20
jskolnik
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 750i

So I have installed an AVIN with the Qualcomm 4G chipset and I am very satisfied with it after quite a bit of getting used to how to configure it.

If people are truly interested I can expand on the subject but here are my key thoughts:

- The unit has it's own 4G sim card and runs on its own. Critical.
- I do not use it for my phone. Still use the Car integration.
- I have not registered my phone with the Avin in any way.
- I had a lot of issues with the keyboard but finally figured out how to install the Google key board and switch the defaults. I no longer see any Chinese characters.
- I installed an after market launcher. No more going through the AVIN home screen!
- I set the double tap to bring up the 'AVIN' home screen and seldom use it anymore. At first when I installed the new launcher I thought I might no be able to get back to it but I figured it out. Its one of the apps.
- I use the music player in the AVIN, not my phone, and while it is slightly lower sound quality I am satisfied.
- I set the audio switching to manual.
- I set the F5 function button on my BMW to switch to AUX input to make getting to the AVIN audio easier.

My results are this:
- Google maps and Waze works great. This is the main reason I bought the unit.
- Music player is fine
- Using the 4G version and sim card is best as no fooling with the phone ever!
- Phone USB is no good
- Android auto is a joke
- Android mirroring is no good
- Must install keyboard and new launcher
- I don't use the bluetooth at all in the AVIN. No need, left phone on CAR. Integrates and switches back and forth just fine with the AVIN aux audio.

All in all I am completely satisfied but it took quite a bit of time to get it the way I wanted it.
Appreciate 0