View Single Post
      08-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #191
jpa74
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i sports line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_78 View Post
I would love it to be a balancing issue but it is not. I already took the car to service and they spent 3 hours to figure out the problem, then they performed road force test and balanced all 4. Problem still exists, even gotten worse. The sad part is BMW says this wobbling is normal. Yes normal for a 1984 e30 with bald tires, not a brand new f30. My e46 and e90 both performed great but this f30 is disappointing. Sheer driving pleasure, not so much!
Well, I'm sorry to hear that roadforce balancing didn't fix it. These minor but annoying vibration issues occur in all automobile models and is not a design flaw or character of the car itself.

Here is a thread discussing similar issue on an E90:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420326

My advice would be to have the dealer or respectable tire shop check the balance of your wheels (especially front wheels) without tires mounted. I believe that the wheels are subject to slight buckling with runflat tires.

In fact, my dealer had to balance my wheels without the tires mounted before being able to fix the problem. This is probably because the runflats are so heavy, that any slight imbalance in the wheel gets masked with them on.

Another test would be to have the dealer replace all four wheels/tires with another set that is properly balanced and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, then it probably is a steering, suspension, or software issue.

Hope this helps.

By the way, my manual transmission stick vibrates back and forth a few millimeters when in neutral. I found it to be annoying and disconcerting at first. Now, I kind of like it. It gives the car some character.

Maybe you can view the slight steering wheel wobble in the same light?
Appreciate 0