07-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
I saw an M-sport line 335i at a dealership in EB II and Black interior with Aluminium Hexagon. The black looked really cheap compared to E90. You open the front arm rest storage compartment and the boundary of that gave a look of some black shirt which has been ironed so many times, that the whiteness has started to show. Overall was pretty disappointed with the interior quality. Even looking much harder I can't find anything like this in the E9x platform.

Aluminium Hexagon trim looked quite similar to Carbon Fiber trim, though I am not sure if that is something factory ordered on a car sitting at the dealership parking lot. I always imagined Al Hex trim to be a lot more elegant and sharp looking.

Now before this thread turns into E90 vs F30 interior battle, I do want to say the following.

Also test drove another 335i with Coral Red interior and that looked quite fabulous inside. I was pleased by the look and feel and it felt a lot better in built even though the black sections seem the same.

Could this be due to the MY? Maybe the 335i with CR was built later than the one with Black interior? Maybe that translates to slight improvement in interior quality.

This cannot be due to sun damage, because this is typically going to be the usage scenario for any car.

E90 vs F30 comparison is out of question because we are in the F30 era. IMHO, as a keen observer of good design and quality, I am disappointed that the step has been slightly backwards.

Final question - has anyone noticed improvement in interior built quality as new Model Years are rolled out?

Any 335i vs 328i interior differences. Likely none!

Thank you guys!
No interior differences in the 328 vs 335, and should be none from '13 to '14 although they might get a little better at putting things together, something I found when driving '12's vs 13's.

What you experienced was likely just car to car variation. They can also be built at both the SA and Germany plants, some debate the quality of each plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
I have to agree somewhat with the OP. I was recently in BMW of Manhattan and they have 2 f30 models on the floor - a 328 msport xdrive in EB with a bunch of bmw performance parts (larger wheels, that stripe down the car) and black interior and a 328 sport xdrive (18") Sapphire with Coral interior.

The aluminum trim in the sport felt like real aluminum while the hex in the msport looked and felt like plastic with an "image" of hexagons on the trim. Very odd. I was looking at getting an msport in white as I like the front but I was a bit disappointed about the hex trim. The red interior also looked more upscale especially by the door inserts. I can live with that difference more so than the fake looking hex aluminum trim.
Hex is real metal, I had it off the car and you can see it and feel it clearly. It is also much cooler to the touch than the rest of the plastic.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0