View Single Post
      08-21-2018, 08:17 AM   #51
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

OK, the MMI box thing as I see it is a mod/hack to connect the iPhone to the car's screen using the iDrive controls without any coding - the alternative for my car (2013 F34 with NBT) would have been retrofit the ID6 unit + new screen + coding for 4x the price - might be the way forward if you want the best integration but still not perfect as I was told the car would loose ConnectedDrive services...

Now, back to the MMI box thing, let me try to answer some of your questions, based on what I can see so far with my car :

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueflite View Post
What IS done with the right side of the screen?
Carplay is not widescreen - the MMI box thing projects Carplay at what seems to be the correct resolution and fills the remaining space with just a picture/text - I have a carplay icon picture there and "carplay" text and other vendors may show a different image there but in the end split screen capability is lost, unfortunately. Carplay would show full screen without the side bat in those cars that have the smaller screen.

Quote:
Will this work via the standard USB port in the center console compartment, or does a new connector need to be installed somewhere in the car?
The MMI box thing came with all wires needed, the iPhone is connected to a new USB port directly to the MMI box thing.

Quote:
I too would like to know if the windshield-based Heads-Up Display (HUD) optional in some cars interacts with the Carplay MMI unit in any way.
Haven't got HUD - My NBT normally shows the turn arrows in the instruments cluster, the MMI box thing is not able to show any arrows there , would be interesting to know if the stock carplay can show something to the cluster/HUD.

Quote:
- Is album art displayed anywhere in the Carplay MMI interface when using the Music app?
This one is apple driven - the Music, spotify or amazon music apps have the same Carplay "skin" interface - just a big play button and back/next arrows. The pocket casts app has 15 secs skip buttons instead of next/back arrows. haven't seen any current song artwork...

Quote:
- For cars that have backup cameras which automatically display on the iDrive screen and return to whatever was displayed once moving forward, will this functionality be retained?
I only have front/back sensors - in my case, the car automatically changes to the stock green/red proximity screen only when I go into reverse gear. The screen immediately reverts to carplay when I change to Drive gear - I can still hear the sensors while driving away. When parallel parking I just quit carplay (hold press the Menu button) to make sure I see the green/red proximity screen while going back/forth. I understand that the MMI box thing works fine if you have cameras but I can also install a 3rd party camera to the MMI box thing without any coding - these details best to discuss with your supplier.

The MMI box thing is only a "projector" really - only Apple would be able to develop the Carplay platform as we go - I cant wait to drive with Google maps/waze

Last edited by x-m4n; 08-21-2018 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
X3power10.00