tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Sirius has RIDICULOUS business practices that need to be reported to the BBB.
I'm filing a complaint.

After my initial "free from BMW" service expired I called Sirius and got their "select service" at $89 per year plus fees, which came to around $108.
Ok, fine.
I don't listen to anything other than about 10 music channels that are in their music only package.

I've renewed that package twice.
My current subscription expires 9/27/17, a few days ago.
I called in August to see what price I could get and the rep EVENTUALLY said that I could renew at the same rate I was paying for the same service.
He said he would put that price in my account "notes".
He didn't.

My subscription expired a few days ago.
Today, I called the 888.601.6302 number and a rep answered. He was a pleasant guy, mild mannered and very polite. I'll give him credit on that.
I told him that I would be willing to renew for the same amount I paid last year, which is $89 plus fees and taxes, total around $108.
He tells me that he can't do that, because that offer is now $99 plus taxes and fees.
And of course, no "note" in my account of the offer.
It's only about $11 more with taxes and fees, but that's not really the point.

I tell him that many customers are only paying $30 plus fees for 6 months, which is less than what I am willing to pay for a whole year at $89 plus fees.
So, he offers me 6 months for $30 plus fees.

I then ask him why in the world would he offer me a lower price when I just offered him a higher price? Of course I already knew the answer. The reason is because of the "AUTO renew" at 6 months, which is $16.23 per month including fees/taxes. That comes to 16.23*9 = $97.38 for next 6 months, and all the next, IF you don't call and complain or cancel.
Add that $97.23 to the "special offer" of $30 plus fees/taxes, $36.49 and the yearly cost is $133.87.
Ah, that's more than my "higher" offer for the year.

I asked him why not just give me two 6 months specials and I'll pay for a whole year. OH NO. That's not how Sirius works. The rep tells me that I can call in before my 6 months expiration and ask to renew again at the $30 rate.

Sirius wants people to call in in order to give their lower "promotional" pricing that includes AUTO renewal. That is done in the hope that the subscriber will forget to call in and then Sirius will automatically charge the full price.
So, basically Sirius's business model is to constantly engage in BS monkey business and call in every 5 months at 29 days, or right before a yearly renewal.

The rep was pleasant as I said, but he of course couldn't say anything about the obvious BS that Sirius engages in. So, I asked to speak to a supervisor to get more "clarification". Guess what? Of course the rep was polite and said he would "find one". LOL! Ok. He comes back about 3 minutes later telling me that the supervisors are busy because there are a LOT of calls.
OF COURSE there are a lot of calls because Sirius creates this f'ing circus that makes their customers jump through phone hoops to get better pricing, which YOU CAN get only if you're willing to play their games.
Why did he offer you a lower price than you were willing to pay? It's pretty simple--the reps are cogs in a machine with a set script and set parameters of what they can agree to. You want 12 months at $60 instead of 6 months at $30--nope; we can't do that; we don't have a button that allows us that option. They have a defined set of deals that they can offer, and they can't be modified.

To me, it's like mail-in rebates. It's worth it for SXM to force customers to have to call back to re-negotiate their rates because not all of them will do it. Just like a good percentage of customers won't will out the paperwork for a mail-in rebate, or if the rebate is incorrectly rejected, many won't follow up to get it fixed. If they used "up front" pricing, everyone would get the best deal, and it would hurt revenues. Comcast does the exact same thing--except I've gotten them to a place where I only have to call them every 2 years.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00