View Single Post
      03-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
mcnamaraharry
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 320d XDRIVE 2016

BMW F30 Whine from the rear 60-72mph

Looking for some advice around the below,

BMW f30 2016 320d XDRIVE 49,000 miles (noise has always been there from buying the car at 24,000 miles)

Between 60-72mph under light to medium acceleration there is a loud whine noise coming from the back of the car (can not be heard when sitting close to the steering wheel), the noise goes instantly when the throttle is taken off, so not road or wind noise.

I took the car into BMW to check it over- which they came back and said they could not hear the noise but the tyre treads were odd which may have been affecting the XDRIVE (car bought from bmw dealer 2 months earlier). All four tyres replaced with no difference in noise (non runflats). I can only assume someone short was driving it on the test?

Car is going back into a different dealer next week as my new commute includes more travelling between 60-70, which is driving me insane!
The noise sounds like a machine gearbox whine, maybe some kind of harmonic going on at that speed?

I have had the same model previously and a hire car of the same model and both did not make this noise.

Has anyone had this issue and had it resolved so i have something to put against BMW when they potentially tell me theres no issue again? Much appreciated!

Last edited by mcnamaraharry; 03-14-2020 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0