07-26-2021, 06:46 PM   #60
BETA V1
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Andream 10.25" Carplay Headunit

2013 335i with HK (CIC-High)
iPhone XS Max (iOs 14.6)

Installed the 10.25" Andream Carplay Headunit two weekends ago and have given it a few drives to settle in to it. Available from their website and and I found a replica on Waaka.com with better write ups and instructions.

It shipped from China to California in about a week. Installation went as expected except for that white connector on the back of the screen slipped out and was causing a signal error. Figured that out and got it to fit more snugly. But there is plenty of youtube and other posts about the install if you want to know more. I ran the AUX cable up to the armrest and did the BMW Phone Cradle Delete at the same time to make more room in the armrest. I ran the USB connector cable under the little door and rubber mat next to the cigarette lighter (5V connector). So it was clean install.

I ran through the setup which is pretty smooth to adjust the screen size and then turn on some of the settings (the ones we know what they do at least) like Automatic Carplay.

So......after a few weeks here are some initial thoughts and some issues I have. Maybe someone knows how to fix some.

1. Audio on AUX (with 3.5mm plugged in) is ther easiest way to have a seamless experience. Quality is not as good as BT.
2. I did the AUX delete which then utilizes the Quad Connection as the AUX input (no need to run a 3.5mm under the armrest). Audio was only slightly better. Aux delete post:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1784474
3. So with that in mind, I am utilizing the BT connection form iDrive and then switching over to Carplay. I turned off the Automatic AUX feature on the setting within the Andream Headunit. Sometimes the car just starts right up and Carplay loads and music is going from BT but other times I have to cycle through some inputs to get BT to kick in from iDrive. I think this is an iDrive issue with he 2013 CIC-High system and not Andream. Prior to ever having this headunit, my BT was not 100% working. Sometimes I had to cycle to the radio and then back to BT to get it play. But all in all quality is better and I think the little back and forth is no big deal to get better quality.
4. I do not really use my phone in the car to talk so I wont really comment on that and they way it works. its just not a priority for me.

iDrive Controller Issues
My biggest gripe really is the way the iDrive controller behaves with the Andream unit within the Carplay Environment. It works completely fine in the BMW software environment and I think it might be a 2013 CIC-High Issue. Maybe some of the other users with NBT can comment.
Nav Button - its supposed to jump to the Carplay Nav (Google Maps or Apple Maps) but instead it just turns on Siri.....What???!?!?

Menu Button - the long push to switch between BMW and Carplay acts a little funky. If you are in BMW iDrive and long push the menu button, Carplay blinks for a second and then the Andream menu loads which forces me to select another menu. If you are in Carplay and long push Menu it goes to iDrive - skipping the Andream menu. Also interestingly enough if you push MEDIA from within Carplay it will bounce right back to the media menu in BMW iDrive.

Back Nudge - I would think if you nudge back it would go back 1 page but it goes back to the Andream Menu (with the three options).

Up Nudge - does nothing which it should since scrolling on the wheel is slow between menu hierarchy

Down Nudge - does nothing

Forward Nudge - Toggle between "now playing", Carplay Homescreen, and Carplay Icon Tiles. Usefully actually.

Back Button - would think it would go back one page but also just jumps straight to the Andream Menu

Option - I would think within Carplay this would go to Carplay Setting but it jumps to the settings of the Andream menu.

On the Steering Wheel - "Voice Command" on one push does not bring up Siri but brings up BMW Voice. If you hold it longer Siri pops ups and you can't talk to here though because the BMW lady is talking and trying to listen.....can this be coded off? No BMW voice command?

On Steering Wheel - even though I am using BT the scroll wheels will change tracks. The up push will go backwards and the down push will go forwards in to the next track. That seems backwards or upside down. Can this be fixed?

On Dash - the two arrows to skip track next to the presets work except for the forward arrow which will skip two songs when pushed. The back arrow works correctly and goes back 1 track.
I understand this is all trivial considering the screen is touch enabled but I don't like reaching and would just like the controller to work. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0