10-16-2019, 05:47 AM   #13
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I'm pretty sure they do, the government put a stop to insurance companies not paying out for modifications which didn't affect the claimed for incident. Insurance companies were taking the piss a few years ago, they even refused to pay out because a women had window stickers in her car!! But apparently all that has stopped now.
I also believe that some of the dodgier insurance practices have been cracked down upon. There is quite a difference between a window sticker and a remap though. An insurer could reasonably claim that they would have quoted a significantly higher premium, or even not offered insurance at all had they known about the remap, so I think you are leaving yourself open to the risk of them rejecting the claim.

If it's a few thousand then that's just one of those things. A personal injury claim could be a different matter entirely. I have heard of people being driven to the brink by the MIB, once they get hold of it. Even bankruptcy doesn't normally extinguish these personal injury debts so it can follow you to the grave.

For peace of mind if nothing else, I think car mods should be declared.
Appreciate 1