View Single Post
      11-25-2018, 06:17 AM   #158
Alcuin49
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

With diesel mileage comes EGR failure

I have 106,000 on my 328d and began smelling diesel exhaust in the cabin. A tear-down revealed that the flex pipe on the EGR cooler had burned through, requires replacement of the cooler. Researched a bit and found this:
https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/10/23/b...lion-vehicles/
Continued driving with the failed cooler risks an engine fire. The EGR cooler parts are backlogged from here to eternity. I bought a diesel Passat because my F30 is going to be non-driveable for months waiting for the parts.
I don't see any good answers for this problem - it's just going to take time to produce 1.6 million parts.

The local dealership (BMW Southpoint) wouldn't make an appointment over the phone for the recall, so I drove there with 2 windows open for the exhaust problem. They made an appointment for Dec. 17, the official recall date, but when I called today to confirm, they had cancelled my appointment without telling me. Their technical service bulletin says in big red print, "no repair possible at this time" undoubtedly because of parts.

I just bought a used (1200 miles) EGR and cooler from UK on ebay. At least I'll be able to get the car back on the road.

Last edited by Alcuin49; 12-13-2018 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0