View Single Post
      05-22-2021, 10:21 AM   #7
RbBugBitMe
PdV Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive sedan

Garage List
Well I'm assuming CG height is 22in for now and Turner Motorsport shows a max tested pressure for BMW of 1200psi on their SS brake line page. So the Wilwood caliper is good to go and I was able to start building out a matlab script for load calcs.

Now I'm into caliper bracket detail design and FEA. I should have 3D printed bits to test fit soon along with the Motorsport Hardware stud conversion kit. Obligatory FEA image with no detail shown for the oohhhs and aaaahhhs.

This next pic is interesting. I found a research paper that compared rotor deflection when the connection from the rotor ring to the hat was on the inboard (turquoise) vs outboard (blue) side. This is not intuitive so I made my own version to test in FEA and I'll say its verified. Unfortunately, I am going to have to stay with an outboard design due to very low clearance between the rotor hat and the caliper bracket as well as the caliper body to the 3 piece wheel bolts on the other side. The benefit now will be my ability to space the caliper/rotor a little further inboard for even more clearance to aggressive wheel designs with deep lips. Just need to check rotor clearance to the knuckle and other things at full steer to know how much further inboard I can go.

I received the Wilwood lug drive rotor hat and pulled dimensions off of it to design my own and return theirs. If you haven't seen the lug drive before, its pretty damn nifty. Requires no bolts or safety wire which is why I'm using their rotors! The metal inserts reduce wear on the aluminum hat and a big ass retaining ring keep the rotor from falling off.

She's coming together quickly, waiting to hear on special pricing I'm getting for the rest of the Wilwood bits I need. Rotor hat drawing is done and out for quote.

Last edited by RbBugBitMe; 05-22-2021 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0