United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion0389 View Post
Thats fine if you want to do that Changing the oil is easy, i do it in the parking lot of the townhouse complex i live in. No jacking required, just use the ramps I got from the auto parts store. Theres no space required to do an oil change. Forgetting to put a crush washer is impossible unless you're sitting in a comfy chair reading a magazine while trying to changing the oil at the same time. Even if the crush washer gets left out, itll probably drip a little bit, but nothing to make your engine blow up. It would take alot more effort to screw something in wrong than it would to do it right. Although we all know lubricating the o ring in the oil filter housing is a good idea, your car isnt going to implode if you dont. it just makes removal next time that much harder. Disposing of the oil is easy, i drop it off at the mechanic down the road. Catch pans are like $2 at walmart so thats not a really big deal.

I understand some people for one reason or another dont like to do things themselves, but changing the oil is more basic than sitting for your drivers license test. Its nothing to be afraid of, the process is not much different from any other domestic car on the road. When in doubt, use BMW oil and filters you'll be good to go.
I've been driving and working on cars for over 50 years - I'd say I've easily changed oil on more cars than your age in years times ten. I used to build racing engines and do all manner of engine rebuilds and modifications, so I'm very well-acquainted with what's required to do an oil change. When you grow up, you don't always have the time or inclination to jack up your $50K+ German performance car and drain/refill the oil and change the filter in your driveway or garage, especially now that you can afford to let someone else do it. It's one of life's rewards after years of hard work to achieve that status. I'd rather spend my time doing custom coding, detailing the interior/exterior, or doing some "spirited" driving in either of my BMWs.

As far as driver's license tests, the last one I took was about 10 years ago to get my motorcycle endorsement. I got through that in 15 minutes and didn't even have to wear gloves or clean up afterwards. So yeah, there are some mighty legitimate reasons for not wanting to "do it yourself".

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1