11-12-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

Phase 2 (The Usual Suspects)
-KW DDC Coilover Suspension
-HRE FF04 20" in special order color (not released yet)
-Michelin PS4S tires 235/35/20 and 275/30/20
-iND paint matched reflectors
-Macht Schnell racing stud kit

Keeping in line with the no-compromise nature of this build I returned to a series of brands I like to call 'the usual suspects'. These companies have industry leading quality and technology and have never let me down.

KW Suspension:
The suspension industry is filled with spring companies who's products only differ by the price tag and the color of paint on the coils. BMW M Performance Suspension kits are in-fact KW produced and just painted red and blue. All coil springs come out of a very small number of metal working factories who's main business is producing springs for the OEM factories around the E.U. What sets suspension companies apart is their strut technology. KW is one of the few suspension companies who produce their own struts in-house and have a long running race heritage with BMW. Despite running other suspension brand logos on BMW DTM cars, if you look in the wheel well you will see the iconic purple and yellow The fact that BMW Motorsports re-brands KW products and uses their suspension in reputation setting competition is more than enough for me to feel confident I'm running the best!

For the F31 project I chose their DDC Coilover kit, and they are a home run! They are similar to V3 in construction but instead of the adjustable dials for stiffness they plug directly into the OEM Dampening Control modules! Now I control my ride stiffness through the cockpit rocker switch and they feel just as comfortable as stock in comfort mode! In sport mode you can immediately tell the difference in feedback and stiffness, when paired with my Michelin PS4S this suspension transforms my sporty commuter to a very capable road corse weapon!

HRE FF04 and Michelin PS4S
Just like the suspension industry, the wheel industry is full of brands who all source their products from the same 2 manufacturers. One important distinction, the DOT does not require aftermarket wheel brands to adhere to DOT standards, meaning a large majority of aftermarket wheels do not meet federal safety standards that OE manufacturers are held-to. HRE Stands out because they not only have their own facility and mills for their forged wheels but they also have chosen to ensure all of their designs meet not only DOT standards but also stringent European TUV standards as well...That said, I couldn't afford a $10k set of bespoke forged HREs for the wagon so I chose their entry level line of flow form products, 20" FF04s. Flow forming is a form of casting and just like with their forged line HRE Flow Form Wheels adhere to all the safety regulation but are mass produced in Japan and imported. HRE is also known for their wide palette of colors available for their wheels, for these FF04s I chose a finish called 'Stone Gold' which has a granite like finish to it with a very complex texture, don't ask me how they do it but it looks really cool! The wheels are ordered with an aggressive offset which is perfected for the F3X with no need for spacers and no worry of fender contact.

When you search for the 'best' Ultra High Performance tire the search is short. The winner of every empirical test since its release in winter 2016 has been the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Just like with my ///M cars I choose to run Michelins because they are simply the best in every category, well worth the extra premium which has actually become a much smaller gap from the leading competitors lately. The wider FF04s enabled me to fit 235/35/20 in front and 275/30/20 in rear. The increased contact along with UHP compound provides a dramatic improvement over the all stock all-seasons. Best of all, the PS4S compliment and amplify the application of more power, better braking, and improved suspension.

iND Style and Macht Schnell
iND appearance package is always one of the first modifications done to any of my cars. I have a collection of amber reflectors floating around my garage because once I replace them they never go back in. iND has matched all of my individual color accessories perfectly so I kept the tradition with getting my mineral grey reflectors through them. I also opted to go with Macht Schnell 75mm studs for this build because I find myself removing wheels so often to either install new parts, adjust suspension, or swap wheels for winter. The studs provide an easy mount to hang the wheel on instead of relying on the hub while frantically feeling behind me for the lugs Plus they look great! Two small items on the long list of heavy hitters that made up my shopping cart from them for this build

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports

Last edited by Curt2000; 01-09-2018 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 14
jazza300.50
TBN54426.50
cdwalls702.00
MickyD'bo566.00
Junebug851615.00
Ymalo22113.00
Niko ZV118.00
Soul_Glo13347.00
haagm58809.50