View Single Post
      10-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #20
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The 510 is easy to use, ISTA+, not so much. ISTA+ is a professional mechanic's tool, Foxwell NT510 is much more appropriate for a weekend mechanic. Anything that requires ISTA+ is probably best left to a pro. The NT510 is also much more than just a $50 OBD reader.
I find the ISTA+ GUI extremely intuitive, not very difficult to use at all, and I am not a professional by any means. The detail which it guides you through the process step-by-step really is dummy proof. I retrofit the OEM HUD system and owe it to ISTA+ for making the process pain-free. Anyone who's removed a dashboard knows that it's a long process with a ton of parts and trim that needs to be removed. ISTA will literally tell you where you should pry the trim piece at and in which direction -- not one tab or clip was broken.

Back in the day the handheld OBD scanners fit the bill, but nowadays with the complexity of the systems and all the separate ECUs/modules there are in a vehicle, they just don't cut it in my opinion. You can't even replace the battery without registering it after (which I did through ISTA+ as well).
Appreciate 0