radm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT ordered, AR 4C Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
+1000. Beat me to it here.

For me, living in the bay area, we don't get a lot of snow or ice true. But we ARE only a few hours from the mountains, and I like to do day trips when I don't have the time for a full vacation up to the snow. So it would be AWD + Winter tires for that, and even though we've had some pretty good storms lately they're also pretty good about clearing the roads in and out of Tahoe - or at least to the point where I don't think clearance would be much of an issue, if at all.
We don't get a lot of snow and ice you say ;-) I have seen snow falling down here once since 98 and even then it was melting on contact with the ground. But I also go to Tahoe. I got around with RWD and snow tires fine but I always wondered what would happen if I get pulled over or get into an accident- since you are not supposed to drive there without chains with RWD (even if you have snows). I could be automatically at fault.

What snows are you planning to get? I had performance snows Dunlop Sport M2's on my first RWD BMW but they were slipping a bit on the snow and ice - I didn't like them. I loved the Continetal Extreme Contact for the grip but they got chewed up on the asphalt driving to and from the mountains. Plus around here I had to be careful, they were like butter. Looking at Tire rack there are only 4 options for MSport brakes. So Blizzaks or X-Ice for grip or Sottozeros for safety and durability when driving to and from mountains.

Last edited by radm; 01-20-2016 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0