View Single Post
      01-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #44
ArchiProf
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i XDrive E92

Garage List
I cannot offer anything regarding the F3x series but this information using the E92 as an example might be helpful nonetheless.

Comparison:
2012 E92 335ix, 6MT, M-Sport (staggered wheel/tire setup)(no performance mods)
2012 E92 335is, 6MT (no performance mods)

Despite what you read on these forums, x-Drive is not anathema to the "pure" BMW driving experience (whatever that is in 2016). Below are some general observations based on my experiences. Please keep in mind that my 335ix is a co-DD (commute and used in 80%+ of our holiday travel anywhere and any weather), I do not track this car, and my "boy racer" days are well behind me.

• 4x4 look - This always makes me laugh - I also own a 1993 Pathfinder (made when they were real off-road trucks) and THAT has a 4x4 look. The x-Drive gap is less than .75 inches more than that of the 335is owned by a friend. By the way, the 335ix scrapes on some driveways around here (including my own). The 335is is much more prone to scraping (my friend does not even attempt to enter my driveway).
• weight and handling - The 335is feels a bit more "quick" relative to steering and more "crisp" going through the curves in the more rural parts around here. In the city the difference is mostly in the quickness of the steering. The 335ix can take off in a “spirited” manner in the rain with no tire spinning, the 335is needs to be controlled more.
• fun factor - We both enjoy our cars immensely. Choose what makes YOU happy, not what makes other people happy.
• AWD "security" - As noted by others, one of the more frustrating things to me relative to this is the false sense of security many AWD drivers have. I do wish dealers would provide a proper explanation of the role of tires in this equation, not just sell AWD as the “perfect solution” to winter driving.

Hope this helps!