12-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #174
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Yes! That is my exact experience. Sometimes I have to wait through 2 cycles of a long traffic light. That's 5 minutes of pure idling... just wasting gas for no reason. I know all F30s have A.S.S. but with the AH3 it doesn't seem like any chance the N55 will even fire up, especially if you're just creeping along.
Very true. The electric A/C compressor should help to keep the car running on battery for enough minutes to deal with long traffic signals. The gas F30 car will start the engine after the car interior warms up. In the Southern States during the Summer season that likely means 10-20 seconds! We are in December in So. FL and I find the 335i can't stay off long enough for a 90 second traffic light. I suspect gas F30 owners in Southern States will need a few cooler days to appreciate pure silence at traffic lights.

Quote:
Not only are you not giving up much, you're getting the new Nav, guaranteed better mpg, a few free extra options (if you spec correctly) and the fun of knowing you're driving a fairly rare auto. I would never pay $6500 more for those privileges, but $1-2K extra makes pretty good sense.
New Nav...

"Fairly rare auto" usually means parts that need to be special ordered. Just today I asked about this issue and my dealer shop foreman told me the AH cars typically end up sitting for days or weeks because parts often have to come from Germany. BMW doesn't sell enough to keep parts sitting in US warehouses. Maybe this time around things will be different? Time will tell...
Appreciate 0