04-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #41
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbimmer19 View Post
Hi guys,

All my life, I thought when it comes to performance, it was BMW or nothing. But lately I've heard people say Audi has better racing heritage because they won more 24 Hours of Le Mans (10 wins compared to BMW's 1 win) not to mention BMW does not have an answer to Audi R8. (doesn't matter if BMW CAN make a TRUE super car or not, the fact is we don't have one).

I know you can't really compare BMW's and Benz's because BMW focuses more on performance and Benz focuses more on comfortable ride and luxury.

As far as brand is concerned, I know Audi can't compete with BMW. But performance only, are Audi's really better cars than BMW's?
Maybe when you compare 3ers to A4, 5ers to A6, 7ers to A8, BMW are better but Audi has more higher end cars that BMW just can't compete with?

Any unbiased opinion on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Audi, BMW, and MB all have their strong points.
As whole brands BMW tends to be the most fun or rewarding to drive.
MB tends toward luxury, and Audi mixes both nicely.

But, when you take it on an individual car vs car comparison things get a bit more muddled. MB makes some VERY powerful and fast cars, especially with the AMG division.
As well, Audi has some individual models that are bad ass, like the TT-RS, RS4, and R8.

BMW has the M division that refines some of the regular models like the 1M, M3, and M5.

But, MB and Audi are larger car companies and can afford to create more special models that BMW can't afford as they are a smaller company with a more limited number of offerings.
MB especially uses AMG all over the place with hand-built super engines, like the "Black" series.
Audi builds the R8 and lends and takes technology from Lamborghini, which is owned by VW/Audi, and VW/Audi are about 50% owners of Porsche. That merger should bring some Porsche tech to Audi, as they've used trans tech from Porsche before like the "tiptronic" automatic. And with Audi, Lamborghini's have really upped their models with better construction and nicer interiors.

Over all though, BMW's typically trend towards being drivers cars in their whole lineup and not just some of their models like Audi an MB.
Some say that BMW is softened their overall brand trying to appeal to a greater market share. But still, there is still plenty of BMW in modern BMW's to keep drivers happy. The 1 series is such a car, and the 1M was a smashing success. I just hope the new 2 series further refines what the 1 has been, and BMW don't grow it too much as they've done to their other models.

I've been hoping that BMW would make a 1 series sedan, but it's not likely for now. Audi though has beat them to it with the new A3 sedan, and it looks sweet, and will be on a new chassis. Audi has grew the A4 so big that they've lost sport sedan drivers who loved the previous A4's.
Now they will make up for it with the A3 sedan.
BMW missed the mark on that one. Even Cadillac sees the value of a smaller sport sedan with the new ATS, which used the E46 3 series as a benchmark. It's a great benchmark too, as the E46 was universally praised in being a very sporty sport sedan, not too small and not too big.
With the new 3 series it's even bigger, though still quite fun to drive.
But now BMW has a gaping hole as the 3 is too big and the new 2 will be a coupe, and BMW no longer has a sport sedan that fits in the size of that gaping hole. A 2 series based sport sedan surely can't be too far away.

Who's sportiest, who's best? It depends on what kind of car you want.
If you want a small sport coupe BMW has you covered.
Audi and MB not so much.
Still, every BMW still has that BMW driving magic, with certain models having more or less.
Appreciate 0