View Single Post
      02-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #69
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastoys-335i View Post
Lowering Springs IMO is just a cheap way to lower your car and does nothing for performance - car may feel more stable because it's lower, but the stock shocks/stuts must be replaced too! IMO - invest the money for a nice set of coilovers. I installed lower springs in my 2010 WRX and ended up replacing with coilovers because all it did was lower my car 1.4 inches, but drove like crap especially when you hit a bump during a high speed corner - actually felt unstable!
The stock struts and shocks can only control the stock rate springs at stock height at best. Any lowering or increase in rates, more rebound valving is needed, no question there.

I test drove a new F30 328i over the weekend and still find the compression damping to be too much and rebound damping lacking. Installing sport springs only is not an upgrade, but rather a down grade performance wise.

Coming from 14+ years in BMW suspension tuning...If going with springs only, struts and shocks with better valving is a must. Coilovers are usually match in terms of spring rates and valving so not only you get the looks you are after, the performance doesn't suffer either.
Appreciate 0