View Single Post
      07-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #58
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

I can confirm this is the BMW 3er Gran Turismo.
The car you have seen and I did mention so is heavily camouflaged to disguise the more sleeker roof-line for BMW's rival to the Audi A5 Sportback , the whole rear end of the previous camouflaged cars is actual a mold taken from the 5er GT and placed on the rear of the car therefore giving the direct impression of a similar concept and resulting anti-5er GT fan-boy hatred.
There are pictures of the prototypes with their hatches open and you can see the overhang of the disguise hanging down.

But remember this is not the first time BMW have intentionally fooled you. Do you remember the first prototypes of the BMW X6? How BMW hid the sleeker bullet shape under a more upright SAV disguise , something similar has been adopted for the X4 which you will see very soon. Disguising new models has become quite an art form now at BMW. They actually vacumn mold complete parts such as the 5er GT rear and shrink it around the 3er GT. The first FWD 1er CST is completely covered in these panels under the camouflage to disguise its more typical BMW shape.
I say it is very good for extensive debate.

It is not the 4er Gran Coupe because as BMW design has already commentated on why they do not like using extra quarterlights after the rear doors on four door sedan models.
You will see the Gran Coupe 4er around the end of the year but before that we will see the FEP F32 and expect to see FEP 3er GT's even sooner as they have started to come out of the FIZ for final testing.

So now that the true 3er Gran Turismo has been unmasked...
Does that mean there will be doubters now embracing the concept?