View Single Post
      11-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #52
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Interesting design but unless I'm missing something obvious, I don't see how these new poly version camber plates can 'naturally' incorporate camber.

The larger fixed plate is bolted to the suspension turret, therefore is on a fixed plane.

The sliding plate, which incorporates the poly washer, bolts to the larger plate and is therefore only adjustable on a fixed plane ((sliding, not rotating).

The poly washer is presumably sandwiched between the top plate and the stainless steel washer (visible), which is in turn held in place by a threaded retainer (not visible, but the same approach as for the monoball versions), and therefore on a fixed plane.

The damper piston rod is bolted through the stainless steel washer, and is therefore on a fixed plane at 90° to the washer.

So, how is a change of plane (change of camber) achieved ? There's no rotating monoball so presumably it's just achieved by deformation (squashing on one hemisphere) of the poly washer causing one side to be loaded and one side to potentially be unloaded.

Thoughts ?

I'm not knocking Millway; just interested in the operation of this new design.
To my understand camber is just adjusting the distance between the two shock tower mounts. Shorter distance between the two top mounts the more camber you get. Why would you need rotation? Wouldn't that be something other than camber (toe, castor, etc, idk which one)
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0