View Single Post
      11-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #53
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
So, how is a change of plane (change of camber) achieved ? There's no rotating monoball so presumably it's just achieved by deformation (squashing on one hemisphere) of the poly washer causing one side to be loaded and one side to potentially be unloaded.

Thoughts ?

I'm not knocking Millway; just interested in the operation of this new design.
The change in plane does the same thing, it just puts stress on the poly bushing/damper. That's why they aren't recommended for camber adjustment. But it works, especially if you aren't planning on adding a bunch of camber.

If you think about it, all of our bushings work the same way. Your control arm bushings are constantly experiencing forces in all directions. It's just that this load would be static.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
To my understand camber is just adjusting the distance between the two shock tower mounts. Shorter distance between the two top mounts the more camber you get. Why would you need rotation? Wouldn't that be something other than camber (toe, castor, etc, idk which one)
He's just talking about the pivot point in the camber plate. On the bottom, the ball joint rotates on it's bearing. This needs rotation because camber changes as the strut is compressed. There's no rotation needed for the OEM strut mount, so it works great with a rubber/poly bushing. But with the camber plates, you are further rotating the angle of the strut assembly. As I said above it's static, but it does still apply a lateral load to the bushing and strut. Not ideal, but probably not a huge issue unless you're running a lot of camber.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
Logicoeur992.50