11-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #56
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Interesting design but unless I'm missing something obvious, I don't see how these new poly version camber plates can 'naturally' incorporate camber.

The larger fixed plate is bolted to the suspension turret, therefore is on a fixed plane.

The sliding plate, which incorporates the poly washer, bolts to the larger plate and is therefore only adjustable on a fixed plane ((sliding, not rotating).

The poly washer is presumably sandwiched between the top plate and the stainless steel washer (visible), which is in turn held in place by a threaded retainer (not visible, but the same approach as for the monoball versions), and therefore on a fixed plane.

The damper piston rod is bolted through the stainless steel washer, and is therefore on a fixed plane at 90° to the washer.

So, how is a change of plane (change of camber) achieved ? There's no rotating monoball so presumably it's just achieved by deformation (squashing on one hemisphere) of the poly washer causing one side to be loaded and one side to potentially be unloaded.

Thoughts ?

I'm not knocking Millway; just interested in the operation of this new design.
All this is very similar to guys using longer F80 LCAs, or lowering the car with a set of coilovers they all change the angle at rest; and the damper struts angle changes during suspension travel too, all the time.

So perhaps uniball is better in some aspects, but it's not a necessity since most situations we don't use this, and it comes at the expense of noise/comfort, which wasn't a tradeoff i was happy to make.

So when Samuel at millway proposed this instead of my original intention of using uniball camber plates i jumped at the opportunity

Now i'm super happy with the car's front end behavior, it's much more agile and eager to rotate thanks to the adjusted camber.