View Single Post
      02-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #21
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Just taken another look at your comments after posting my thoughts, and note your observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
.......The nearside rear makes clonking noises over fairly minor bumps (e.g. slightly recessed manhole cover at 30mph in town). Nearside front seems to be second most easily provoked by bigger bumps but, if I go over sustained bumps across the whole road surface, I can clearly hear the sound coming independently from all four wheels. In my book, there's no way the car should make this sound - I think we have faulty AS ... :-)
Some odd reactions and sequences it seems, but are they? Could be pointers at the problem. Are you 'driver only' most of the time? Better or worse, when you have a passenger(s)?

More I think on this, the more I'm minded it is in the 'sensing' of the car. Would be interesting if you have a passenger in the n/s rear and try roads you know well and how it clunks, see if the reactions are different.

I know you shouldn't have to bother and the garage should fix it, but always helps to have reasoned observations to add weight to your case. Could help others get a quicker fix, if it can be identified.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0