Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
but Porsche buyers aren't running to get an MB.
Maybe 911 buyers arent (although I stand by my opinion that AMG GT owners probably have owned a 911 or two in their life), but I'm pretty sure that MB GLC/GLE coupe cars (the higher specced ones) are competing with the Macans etc.
And that means competing with porsches most profitable segment. Still porsche seems to be doing all right judging by their annual corporate figures

If you look at the sales nubers 911 versus amg gt, for the US thats 8,970 vs 1,609 (so mercedes took 15% of that combined total market potential) and for europe thats 15,053 vs 2,443 (so Mercedes took 14% of that total market potential).

As far as GLC coupe versus Macan I couldnt find US data for the GLC coupe specificly (its all GLC and that of cours hugely outsells the macan), but in europe (for 2017) the sales figures for GLC coupe (since its recent launch) are very very close to the macan (26,555 macan versus 27,385 GLC coupe) so there is a big big fight going on in that segment. Sales are virtually the same on 2 cars competing in the same segment, starting around at the same base price (47300 (glc coupe us price) versus 47800 for the base macan). But I'm sure options for porsche are more expensive so there porsche can make some extra money, and of course they get the el cheapo platforms from volkswagen so that also saves them a tonne of money. But as far as sales goes, porsche has their hands full with the recent merc GLC as it directly rivals and outsells their best selling product.

I'm eager to see what the coming audi Q6 is going to do. That will also become a competative car to the macan (well, its of course the same car). But thats typical VAG strategic planning. Flood a (nice) market segment with as many models as possible from different brands in your own corporate holding (brands like hyundai/kia do the same of course)
Well in all fairness I don't really think of Macans as real Porsches. When I say Porsche i am talking about 911s, Cayman (Caymen?), Boxters. Macans and Panameras etc are like the appliance Porsches meant for corporate profit and kinship with Audi. Not sports or enthusiast cars...