View Single Post
      05-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #141
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker15 View Post
Ok, well here's the deal, if the gas station was selling an octane any less than indicated on the pump then it would be against federal law. If it says 91 and you're getting 89, that's illegal. I used to work in an oil refinery. All gas is tested to meet government specs before it can be released. If a tank don't pass, then it is corrected. So for anyone to say that the octane here is crap is saying that California has a free pass to break the law and the federal government turns a blind eye.

Now some companies may choose to give you a higher octane than indicated on the pump, that's called "giveaway". But not many companies do it because it's throwing away money. It's expensive to boost octane. They cannot sell gas below the stamped octane rating.

Meeting government specs before sending the gasoline, or jet fuel, or diesel, or any finished product is not negotiable. If an entire tank has to be reblended to meet specs then it will be reblended before being released for sale. Otherwise it's illegal and could involve huge fines. So for anyone to say that California sells gasoline that's lower octane than stamped on the pump, I'd like to see their proof.

I have not worked in a California refinery but Federal law is the same across all of America. States can enact stricter laws but not negate or change federal law to be less strict, the law of Preemption. That's how it's supposed to be, but of course we all know that doesn't apply to marijuana.

So when someone says the octane here is crap, I have to say show me the proof, show me the court cases and fines levied on the oil companies here. Or show me that the government has agreed not to test the gas here. Meeting specs is a major big deal in the oil industry. There's other specs besides octane that it has to meet but octane is a huge one, and of course none of the specs can be ignored or fudged. If test results were faked or doctored then people would go to jail.

Unless things have changed so much in the last few years since I retired that anything goes now and there is no law protecting consumers.

If it says 91 on the pump, it's at least 91 octane.
You seem new around here. Every tuner on every car I’ve ever tuned has said the same shit about California 91. Must be detergents or some shit impacting it but its definitely piss poor
Appreciate 1