07-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #39
Schmed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E70X5, F25X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF30 View Post
I haven't had problems with it, but then again I don't go up into the mountains that much or live in a particularly hilly area. If you will be driving up snow/ice covered hills often in the winter, or have a steep driveway for instance, those are cases where xDrive is more useful I think. RWD + snow tires could still work fine though, depending on how extreme the circumstances are. Obviously, the best (and most expensive) option would be xDrive + snow tires. That's probably overkill for what most people need though.
I'm on my 8th year of driving RWD 3-series sedans in Colorado. I ski about 12 times per year, and not once had an issue with my car and good snow tires.

Clearance is an issue, but it will be with any 3-series unless you have an X3.

I did, however, have a loaner 328Xi sedan one day in the snow, and without a doubt, that car had less cornering and braking ability on the ice than my RWD with snow tires. It was borderline scary when coming from my car.

Personally, I'd rather be able to turn and stop faster in my RWD/Snow-tire car than have the false confidence that many people have in their AWD/All-season tire cars!