04-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #67
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
IMO the main attraction to the aftermarket intakes is the sound difference. They aren't cheap! Increasing airflow at the filter does produce a small performance increase but in that regard they are all about the same. You are paying for sound!

I wouldn't think an intake would cause a warranty issue but my experience is that the dealers kinda make their own rules with that. One dealer SA did tell me that he's seen stock plastic charge pipes break because of big aftermarket intakes that were installed touching the charge pipe below it. He thought that the weight and vibration from the intake caused the plastic charge pipe to fail. Whether they denied warranty coverage over that, I do not know.

I've got the BMW M Performance intake so no warranty issues. I've written a couple recent posts about getting that upgraded intake performance increase by upgrading to the aFe Pro Dry airfilter for about $75 and either cutting holes in your stock airbox bottom for free or buying the BMW MP airbox bottom with the big hole already in it from the factory for about $181.
Hope this helps.
Thanks man, I'll probably just change the filter and lower intake box, don't want the dealer to void my warranty because of the drilled holes which I know shouldn't do anything bad, but they always just keep looking for stupid reasons
Appreciate 0