View Single Post
      12-09-2018, 04:19 AM   #20
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Fiat Multipla

15k in my '18 240i Manual. If I could go back and spec the auto, I probably would. My daily driving is perfectly suited for a manual, but the strange behavior of the box is a real let down. For example, even with all the systems as 'off' as they can be, if you shift up at the redline like you'll want to in the B58, it has a tendency to over-rev the engine own its on (as if you've flat-foot shifted). It also feels like the flywheel weighs about 30t when waiting for the engine to rev down sometimes - especially bad in 2nd when you've just had a burst of sideways, but want to shift back up to 3rd for sensible 30mph driving. The clutch is much heavier than I'd like, but you get used to it - although the excess pedal travel is forever annoying.

On the flip side, there are definitely moments where all systems off, you can heal-toe yourself and have a blast. The longer gears suit the torque perfectly IMO, with 2nd taking you above motorway speed - with the added bonus of shifting less, so you don't notice how dodgy the box feels sometimes.

The rest of the car is great. I did not enjoy how heavy my old M4 felt on the road, especially when it started to get unsettled. I never found a damper setting that felt right for "shitey british road with potholes and cyclists", but the non-adaptive/passive suspension works a treat on country lanes. Some people have complained about body roll, but its light enough thats it doesn't adversely affect handling. If you lived in Germany or were tracking it, I'd definitely look at swapping for something stiffer though.

The steering feel, in my opinion, is quite a bit worse than the M4, which is saying something. I also miss having an LSD (will eventually get around to fitting the M-Perf. diff).

All that said, I can't think of a car I'd rather have right now. M2C is heavier, wider, and has the S55 which sounds bad to my ears. Maybe a Cayman, but that's all.

Last edited by Karlj; 12-09-2018 at 04:25 AM..
Appreciate 0