11-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #10
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

18" square is the fastest smartest best option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandini3 View Post
Yes, of course it is cheaper. However, using the summer 19s involves a few disadvantages:

1. Tire size on the 19s (wide tread, short sidewall) is not ideal for winter driving, as noted in my earlier post. That may not be a big deal in Belgium but it can be in Canada (snow, ice).

2. Your summer tires will have to be removed/mounted repeatedly. That's not great for the tires. Not critical, but not great.

3. If you keep your car for, say, five years, the annual cost of changing and balancing the tires will come close to the cost of a set of 18-inch alloys. That, plus the higher cost of wider, 19-in. winters (vs.small 18s) means you will save little, if anything over the long term.
Exactly. High performance tires 'hate' being taken on and off. Runflats in particular are sensitive to bubbling due to 2-3 removals. The average BMW winter tire kit can be bought at 30% discount, making it a 3,000$ for 18" a 1,800$ HIGH PERFORMANCE wheelset (11lbs per wheel) with a 1200$ winter set - in the high end. e.g. Sottozero.

Adding potholes, ices and unseen obstacles, 18" square is the smartest, faster, safest setup one can have. Recorded with my laptimer several 4.5s 0-60 runs on my winter Sottozero Serie II....
Appreciate 0