View Single Post
      02-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
E36toF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Smile F30 328i Sport 8AT Review by Motortrend: 5.6 sec 0-60 mph!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_first_test/

The actually performed some instrumented tests:
  • 5.6 seconds 0-60mph
  • Quarter mile in 14.2 at 97.8 MPH
  • 0.90 g on the skidpad

The fuel economy numbers they got weren't particularly impressive, but I imagine they were driving it pretty hard. Also, a very interesting snippet here:
Quote:
Sure, the 328i doesn't have the top end speed of the 335i, but it's more rewarding to drive fast. What's more, BMW's own driving instructors at the track confided that the lap times were nearly identical, with the 335i faster on the straights and the 328i faster through the corners."
Quote:
Want to know the real kicker? Don't tell BMW, but the 328i is better than the 335i. I lapped both at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca during BMW's launch event. We brought both home to test (you'll be seeing the 335i First Test soon), and we all agree. Yes, the 335i is a lot faster thanks to that turbo-six, but the 328i is the better car to drive. The four-cylinder car is 50 pounds lighter in the nose and the engine sits behind the front axle, making for a superb weight balance that the big-engine car just can't match.
They said they'll have a 335i test up soon.

Admin edit:
For reference and more context, videos of the 328i on the dyno, as well as at the hands of BMW driver Joey Hand at Laguna Seca are included below.

Appreciate 0