View Single Post
      10-24-2018, 05:12 AM   #13
N420i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 420i lightly modded

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Nothing wrong with slicks if roads are dry.

I don't mean to say it like this but I don't know how else to: just because you can't feel the degradation of grip with age doesn't mean it's not there. I'm no Matt Farah either, and it's no fault of yours, but tires do grip less and perform worse with age. The rubber gets harder and dryer with age, and it will inevitably start to function worse than a same model newer tire (just talking about age not treadwear). The CGT that Paul Walker was in when he died had 9 y/o tires on it, and they were probably a major catalyst to the crash. 9 years old is pretty damn old, but the same effect can start to happen with 6-7 year old tires. It's also about the fact that old rubber and structural elements of the tires are prone to failure at old age, aka blowouts and tread separation. It's rare, but it's certainly possible and something to avoid. Bottom line: old tires are unsafe. If you want to gamble with them so be it, but I wouldn't advocate that others do the same.
Sure they are gonna be degraded, but does that mean they're gonna grip worse in the wet or dry than a standard set of Pilot Primacys or Turanzas?
Appreciate 0