08-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJdriver View Post
Bad news.

The differential will blow first. With the shafts. (Speaking from personal experience) gearbox doesn’t even blink. Not even a code.

Also your talking about the ZF 8HP. Unamously agreed as the best gearbox out there. With variants taking up to 900 ft/lbs.

I don’t know where u get your info from. People that drive it aggressively probably are less likely to break it since torque converter lock up and not dragging a shift out for comfort (produce the most heat and strain) are favorable things.

You could buy VAG product. They trust their DSG/Stronic so much they limit it to 200 launches.
I know someone who used launch control on the 8 speed when new, blew the transmission and then repeated the same process with his replacement transmission and complained that the dealer would not replace it a third time. he was also getting this whining sound that OP mentioned before his transmission exploded.

you took my comment the wrong way. we own a 5 series, I know all about the 8 speed. it is the best transmission I have ever encountered and the only auto gearbox that doesnt make me long for my manual gearbox. the way it blends efficiency with performance is outstanding.

a VAG product? you mean volkswagen?
Appreciate 1