View Single Post
      12-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #11
Joeypdx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 330

Since I have the HiFi system and not HK is the Audiocontrol still the best choice? I can attest that there isn't enough power to drive the Earthquake subs - I installed them and clearly need the amp. I just don't want to spend a fortune on a sub - not that the Audiocontrol is horrendously priced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Technicpnp harness makes it plug and play. The secondary amp is required for the subs. Can't just swap the upgraded Earthquake SWS-8Xi subs in without the secondary amp because of their 2-ohm rating and power requirements.

The requirements also mean that there aren't easy substitutions. I searched like crazy and couldn't find anything that met every requirement like the AudioControl ACM-2.300.

For the stock H/K amplifier outputs through the Technicpnp harness you need to connect to an amp or LOC that can handle 40 volt speaker level inputs. Many have marketing materials that make it sound like they will work but can't really handle 40 volts! At the other end of the chain the secondary amplifier needs to be able to output two channels of 150 watt RMS per channel into 2-ohms each.

The AudioControl ACM-2.300 is a combo LOC & amplifier in one with the perfect specs for this project along with small size to make mounting easy without taking up valuable space.

I collected a lot of detail and photos as I did this project so I'm writing it all up to share.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0